Man and woman cannot live a solitary life. That’s why they make friends and learn the art of making friends from the early time of their life, or to be precise, since their childhood. Like adults, children too, suffer friendship breakups. So, as a parent, you have to learn how to help your child handle a friendship breakup. When you learn the techniques to help your child handle a friendship breakup, you can channelize your child’s emotional response in a proper way.
Know your child’s friends
The best way to know what kinds of friends are in your child’s circle is to invite them over lunch or dinner. If you have a good relationship with your child’s friends, your child will feel comfortable talking to you about his/her friends. If there is a problem, you will be in a position to help your child and strengthen your bond. To understand and help your child handle a friendship breakup better, you have to learn about his/her friends.
Try to look into your child’s online activities
Recently, parents in my neighborhood accidentally accessed their daughter’s Facebook account. The 13-years-old girl had forgotten to sign out. They were surprised to find their daughter, otherwise, plaint and submissive, showing hatred to her parents, teachers, and bothers. Parents’ initial reaction to their daughter’s aggressive behavior was a disaster. They scolded her, they threatened her. When the daughter stopped talking, only then did the parents understand the problem was getting bigger. Then they took her to the psychiatrist.
Rule No. 1: Don’t be harsh with your children, even though they are rude.
Rule No. 2: Try a re-conciliatory approach.
Rule No. 3: Get into the root of the problem.
Tell them all they need to know about friendship
Friendship is a transitory feeling and it loses its strength in the course of time. Make your child realize if someone walks away, another person, perhaps even better, will arrive. Tell your child to welcome new friends and if he/she is good, good friends will come into his/her life.
You have to share your relevant experiences with your child, which he or she can relate to. Tell about the friend once you had in your life, who is no more with you, but you were blessed with another wonderful friend.
Teach your children open-mindedness
To become an able person, one must be open-minded, make your child aware that open-mindedness helps significantly in life. Don’t just tell your child to forget that friend but rather help him/her forget by taking him/her on family vacations. Help your child forget the complicated situations by taking out, and introducing with the children of your friends. Accompany your child to the places where he/she will find peers. When you spot children of your child’s age in Children Park, museums, and zoos, encourage him/her to go and talk to them and strike a new friendship. When your child starts to make new friends, he/she will obviously forget the old ones, especially those who broke his/her heart.
Points to Remember
- It is true that no one can solve all of the problems a child faces in his/her life. However, if you take interest in your child’s daily activities, you may have an idea on how to assist him/her.
- Don’t ignore minor problems, they can be become a great problem later.
- A child is too young to handle his/her sufferings. When the pain of a child is not properly channelized, the troubled childhood will create a psychologically weak person.
- It is wrong to expect your child to understand you and impose your ideas.
- True stories of bravery and courage will help your child overcome the pain of friendship breakup. When you share such stories, it will help them understand things like this can happen in everyone’s life.
- As a parent, you must always be a supporter and always willing to help your child to make new friends.
- When you are with your children, you have to become children to understand their young minds. You have to take interest in their games and play games with them.
- Help your child to welcome new friends, and mold him/her to become a welcoming person, ready to accept challenges in life.
If you want to solve your children’s problems remember these tips. You must always be ready to learn the way to help your child. A child cannot overcome pain and handle friendship breakup by himself/herself. Parents must always be ready to help their children show the way in their life. The minds of children are so tender that they are easily carried away by the desire for revenge. A child cannot differentiate between rights and wrongs. As a parent, you need to channelize your child’s anger and properly handle his/her emotions. You have to have a re-conciliatory approach. You must inculcate your child with ethics, morality, and righteousness.