You want to have a garden of edible plants but no available soil in your place? No problem! Why not use plastic bottles, plastic containers, or tin cans that you generally throw away? Instead of buying costly pots, recycle those old bottles and grow your favorite plants. Just use your imagination and be creative with those bottles. Using those recycled bottles, you will get fresh and healthy food and not only that, you are helping the environment too.
If your imagination is not working at the moment, here are some of the best ideas from the internet that can be used in your house, indoor or outdoor.
- Get those water bottles and remove the bottom part and hang it upside down in your fence just like what is shown in the picture below. Garden in your fence using plastic bottle. PHOTO: Balconygardenweb.com
- If you don’t have a fence, you can collect some scrap woods, align them and hang plastic bottles and plant your vegetables like lettuce, spinach, spring onions, garlic, etc. See the pic below.
- If you are lazy to water them regularly, why not use an automated irrigation system using those black irrigation hose with timer as shown in the picture below.
- How about using your wall to put all those plastic bottles and plant your favorite flowers, green vegetables, or even ornamental plants? By doing this you will be creating a wall garden, with colorful flowers, beautiful greens and fresh edibles.
- Here is an illustrated instruction on how to make these beautiful planters using recycled plastic soda bottle. It is very easy to make.
- In case, you do not have a lot of space inside your house, you can hang your containers on the portico, balcony or even in the lobby inside your house.
- Some bottles can be used as greenhouse and will protect your plants as shown in the picture below.
- You can hang in the window. It looks great. All you need is to fill the bottle on the top and let the water drip on the bottom.
- This is the easiest and very simple with a water reservoir at the bottom of the bottle so you will not need to water them every day.
- If you want to be more creative and more artistic, you can paint and create beautiful designs. The paint will not only make them beautiful but also prevent algae.
Use your imagination to grow different varieties of plants: microgreens, vegetables, flowers, ornamental plants, etc. By reusing plastic bottles and containers, you are not only reducing trash and saving the environment, you are also growing edibles and saving money on foods, as well as nurturing your gardening hobby for well-being and wellness.