The planet earth is not only for humans, but this is also home to hundreds of thousands of species of animals and plants. However, humans as a superior creature on the planet earth have not only created environmental damages but also encroached on the habitat of numerous species through their so-called development activities. Instead of believing in co-existence, human beings have undermined the value of other species. Interestingly, nature is a great teacher and it continues to teach species on how they can survive. Since human activities continue to encroach the forested areas, animals are also invading the urban space. That’s the reason rodents have become a common problem not only at home but also in the workplace.
Rodent Infestation in Workplace
Rodents are small animals characterized by a pair of teeth on upper and lower jaws. Interestingly, these teeth continue to grow longer, thus, these animals in the mammal group have a compulsion to nibble at things. In doing so they corrode the teeth. That’s the reason why rodents always create a lot of problems in your workplace or home and usually categorized as pests. Some of the common rodents classified in the pest category are squirrel, mice, rats, chipmunks, etc.
With changing seasons, pests like rodents also look for a change in the environment for protection and safety. Winter is the time when mice and rats look for a warmer and dryer place in your house or workplace for comfort. On the contrary, summer is a favorable time for breeding and this is when rodents are found in abundant numbers.
Be careful and watch out any minute cracks and crevices in your workplace, office, or property. No matter how small you find a crack or hole, if you can put a pencil or thumb into it easily, a mouse can easily get in through it. They have the ability to elongate their bodies fit in these compact pathways. Keeping these initial signs in mind, it is suggested to call for pest control services at regular intervals.
Based on your location, you will find different kinds of pests. However, some of the common pests are the black rat, brown rat, and house mouse. The black rat is commonly found in the coastal areas of town and in the rural areas as well as urban environments. These species are very agile and considered to be great climbers. The brown rat makes homes in dirt burrows close to food supply areas in and around a property, residential or commercial. The third is the most common of all – house mouse. It prefers staying indoors in storage areas and at times are seen roaming around the lawns and fields.
Signs and Symptoms of Rodents
If you are suspecting the presence of rodents in your property, watch out for these possible signs:
Droppings – Look for any trails of dropping in your home or office kitchen areas and cupboards.
Smell – They tend to leave urine around that causes an unpleasant and distinct smell.
Rub marks – On rubbing their bodies against hard surfaces, rats and mice tend to leave marks.
Teeth marks – They can gnaw through hard object to reach food sources.
Tips for Prevention of Rodent Infestation in Workplace
Known to carry bacteria and diseases, it is essential to prevent rodent infestation in your property. They tend to contaminate areas of your home or office leading you to the threat of harmful diseases. Involving in goof hygiene, housekeeping and proofing can possibly keep them away.
Here are some proven prevention tips:
- Vegetation control: Use herbicides or indulge in manual reduction
- Exclusion: Close entry points to restrict them from getting into your property
- Garbage removal: Maintain regular clean-ups inside and around the property.
- Discard food particles: Pests are easily attracted by food particles, therefore, you should discard food particles from the kitchen counter, desks, etc.
- Remove their dwelings: If rodents have made their house in your home or office, remove their dwelings.
- Use electronic devices: these days you can find plenty of electronic devices that are said to emit ultrasonic sounds that deter various kinds pests.
- Organic pest deterents: You can also use organic pest deterents like pepper, peppermint, cloves, garlic, etc. in the holes and their routes.
- Chemical pest deterents: You can also find a lot of products in the market that deters the pests. These pest deterents discourage the rodents to enter into your house or create havoc in your house or workplace.
- Bleach spray: You can also make a spray of bleach and water and spray in the areas invaded by the pests. The strong smell of bleach deters the rodents like rats and mice.
- Discard pets’ waste: Rodents are arrtacted by pets’ waste. Therefore make sure to clean the litter and get rid of urine and stool smell in your house or workplace.
- Vinegar spray: Most of the rodents do not like strong smell. Thus, you can spray vinegar in the area that are invaded by rodents. You can also make a mixture of vinegar and peppermint oils and spray in the holes and any possible entry points.
The aforementioned pest control tips are ethical ways to control pests, however, there are also harsher methods like using traps, using toxic pesticides, etc. While trapping rodents and killing them can be considered very cruel, using toxins to kill rodents is not only a cruel way to prevent rodent infestation but also can be very lethal to humans as well. If you want to actually kills rats and mice that invade your house, you can also use natural substances that can kill pests. It is said that onions can kill rats and mice. All you have to do is use onion slices as baits.
Probably, rodent repellent devices are the best way to get rid of pest infestation in your home or workplace. You can find different kinds of devices that you can use anywhere from your home, office, or garden, even inside your car. These devices have a certain range and keep rodents away within that radius.
Do you have any rodent infestation in your home or office? How do you tackle the problem? Please share your experience and knowledge in the comment box.
12 thoughts on “Control and Prevention of Rodent Infestation in Workplace”
I am continually invstigating online for tips that can assist me. Thank you! Aubry Judon Horter
You’re always welcome!
It is in point of fact a great and useful piece of
information. I am glad that you just shared this helpful info with us.
Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Stay tuned for more interesting articles 🙂
What’s up, this weekend is good designed for me,
for the reason that this moment i am reading this enormous educational article here at my residence.
Good, thanks for visiting our website!
Thanks for any other informative blog. The place else could I am getting that type of info written in such
an ideal method? I have a mission that I’m just now operating on, and I have been at
the look out for such info.
Thanks! I guess our new article might be interesting for you https://a1mag.com/how-to-build-passive-income-in-2021/
Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading
it, you can be a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will come back very soon. I want to encourage one to continue your great
writing, have a nice afternoon!
Thanks you, Amelia! We appreciate your taking the time to visit our website and bookmark it 🙂
This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am really pleassant to read
everthing at single place.